Visit isafeguard.com to download iSafeguard v8 the New Generation
FileView Utility Program
Does your secure delete program really wipes the content of a file? You can use our free
utility FileView to find out. Click here to download.
How It Works
Simple. It first finds the clusters that a file occupies and then read
the cluster content directly from the disk volume.
Since the program directly accesses
a disk volume you must login as an administrator to use it.
- You must login as an administrator to run it.
- The size of the file must be greater than 4096 bytes to guarantee the content of
the file is not located in MFT (Mater File Table).
- Only works on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003; Windows 95/98/ME are not supported.
How To Use It
To use the utility to verify if the content of a file is really wiped, follow
the steps below:
- Browse to a file. The program will remember the clusters that the file occupies.
- Click each cluster to view its content; make a copy the content and save
- (Leave the FileView utility program running)
- Use your favorite secure delete program to wipe the file.
- Switch back to the FileView utility and click on each cluster.
- Compare the content of each cluster with that you saved earlier.
You should see the contents are different. A good secure delete program should
overwrite a file with a pattern and then overwrite it again with the complement of
the pattern and finally overwrite the file with
random data; this is one pass. The program should allow you to wipe a file with
If you still see the content of the file or part of it then you should consider switching
to use another secure delete program, such as iSafeguard™.