Working With Certificate Authorities (CAs)
Enrolling Into A Corporate PKI
If your company licenses iSafeguard™ Enterprise and your administrator has
setup Microsoft Active Directory and Microsoft Certificate Service you can enroll
into your company's PKI and renew your certificate using the iSafeguard™ Certificate
Obtaining Certificates From Public CAs
You can request an X.509 certificate from a public CA and use it in iSafeguard™.
Since the process of obtaining a certificate from different CA is different we are
not going to describe in details how to get one. The following is a partial list
of available CAs that issue certificates to individuals and corporations.
There are other public CAs available as well. Once you have completed the whole
process your certificate and key pair will have been installed on your computer.
Once you get your certificate on your computer you have two options to make
it available to sign and encrypt data.
- Turn on option Allow using certificates on my computer. Once turned
on the certificate will be available for use to sign and encrypt data.
Click here to learn more.
- Import the certificate and key pair to your profile by using the certificate import
wizard. See section Importing Certificates From Your Computer that
follows for more information.
Importing Certificates From Your Computer
Note: Make sure you make the key pair
exportable so that iSafeguard™ can import it from your computer to your
To import certificates from your local computer to your iSafeguard™ profile,
follow the steps below:
- Start Certificate
- Click the Import... button to start the Certificate/Key Import Wizard
- Click the Next button to move to the next page
- Select Import certificate/key from the computer option
- Click the Next button and a list of available certificates are shown
- Select a certificate from the list
- Click the Next button to import the selected certificate
- You may be asked to set trust for the root CA certificate if the issuing root CA
certificate is not in your profile and is available on your computer
Once the certificates are imported successfully to your profile you can use them
to sign and encrypt your data.
Note: When importing a certificate from
your computer to your profile the whole certificate chain is imported as well if
Finding People From Directory Services
Using iSafeguard™ you can search other people's certificates from known public Internet
Directory Services. Currently iSafeguard™ supports searching the following
- VeriSign Internet Directory Service
- GlobalSign Internet Directory Service
To find certificates from these directory services, follow the steps below:
- Login if you are not
currently logged in;
- Locate the golden lock icon
on the taskbar;
- Right click your mouse button on the lock;
- Select Find People from the popup menu.
The iSafeguard - Find People shows. A screen shot is
- Select a directory service from the Look In field
- Enter your search criteria in the Name and/or Email
- Click the Find Now button to start searching.
Once you find the certificates you are looking for you can import the certificate
to your profile to make them available in iSafeguard™.
Tip: Your search criteria can
include wildcard (*). For example you may use "smith*" in the Name
field to search for people whose names started with "smith". Or you may use "*.gov"
in the Email field to search for poeple whose emails ended with
Note: Searching people
from directory services is not supported on Windows 98/ME. On Windows
NT 4.0 you will need to install Active Directory Client Extension
to use this feature. Visit http://www.microsoft.com to
learn more about Active Directory Client Extension .